Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 

Trials of Shazam

So while other people (I'm talking about Greg and Alyssa, for theirs are the only two other London blogs I know of)have been writing in their London blogs about what their first classes have been like, or their touristy adventures in the Big Lime (a term of my own invention that I'm hoping will catch on) I seem to have been in remiss when it came to dealing with the "abroad" side of my studies. For this I apologize to my loyal readers who want nothing more than to know what it is really like on the mythical isle of Ing-Land (the island of verbs), not to be confused with the mysterious "place" known only as Lon Guile Land, which lies East of NYC, but can not be charted on any map. In fairness to myself, I did attempt to write about the day I walked around London. London, it should be here pointed out, totally cheats when it comes to obeying the laws of space time. How else could I have walked in a straight line out of Hyde Park toward the Thames, and wound up walking into Hyde Park? The very logisitcs of the situation boggle the mind.

But there is a method to my madness. I believe that the abroad experiance is three fold. First there is the idea of living in another place, completely (although not so completely here) different from what life is like in America. The second is the intellectual side, often overlooked by the students at the time, but it is important to keep tabs on what and how you learn over here (in Narnia) that you couldn't do back stateside. If you want blogs devoted to these two principles I will gladly reckoment Greg's blog (manwiththelime.blogspot.com) and Alyssa's (jerseygirlinlondon.blogspot.com). My mission statement is to cover than third, tenuous aspect of abroadities so rarely talk about in the series of tubes. There is a certain madness that comes with abroad travel, like jetlag that never goes away. Some might say that it is being put out of your bubble, but those people are stupid. It's more like the sudden realization that the entire human population of the world are all so frustratingly similar, and refuse to admit it. My blog, which may seem surreal at times, is intended to address the general madness in the world, and one sane individual's attempt to cope with the realization that everything's gone pear-shaped.

-Dante

Comments:
second star to the right and straight on until morning... that's where you'll find the mythical land of longuyland!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?