Tuesday, January 30, 2007

 

Knight Fox

My nocturnal treks have become something of a regular occurrance. I find that at the end of the night I'm always returning from somewhere. Be it someone's flat, work, a play, or an epic battle with an elite shadow military platoon or giant Assyrian statue come to life, I always top off the night with a long walk home. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good walk. Those of you who have wondered why I don't drive might find that my enjoyment of walking is one of the things that enables me to survive without wheels. It also gives me my only moments to myself. When you live a life like I do which keeps you in constant company with friends, fellow students, bosses, mystically animated historical artifacts, and a roommate like Long, (not that I mind my life) you look foreward to the quiet reflection that comes with a long walk. But I've noticed as of late that my walks are not as alone as I'd thought. I've started attracting company. On my most recent trips home I've been followed. My shy new friend is a small gray fox.

I don't know why this one fox has taken a liking to me, or if there is a large fox population in London that I am just now noticing. I just know that in the shadows that come out at night, there is a fox following in my foot steps. I shall have to find an all encompassing tome of knowlege in which to look up whether a gray fox is an omen or portent.

On a less cryptic note, I saw my friend Simon the other day. We went out for drinks (don't get excited Kevin, I had ice water), and just caught up. I hadn't seen Simon in years, and never in his natural habitat. It was fun, I hope we have time to do it again. Although I am a little peeved at him for letting a rat that I'd kept secret out of the bag.

Simon, for all of you readers not in the know, is a friend I've had since I was about five (I don't know the actual year we met, but it was a long time ago). He is Engish, and grew up about as far away from London as I did from Boston. We two ran in very different circles for most of the year, circles roughly 2,500 miles apart. However, in the summers, his family would come to the states, and hang out at the same pool club where my family cooled down. And it was there that Simon and I became friends. Now Lyss and Greg said that Simon and I looked and acted alike. I don't see it. I think they're crazy. But I can say that Simon seems to have the perfect life. He is working on his Masters part time and writing in the other part of his time. It might not be a swanky rtitzy life style, but he gets to sleep until 11 every day.

I FINALLY got to the British Museum on Sunday (which is NOT where the National Gallery is, my bad). I know I've been there twice before (and still didn't know where it was), but the British Museum is still soooo cool. Even cooler than the last time I was there. The Assyrian stuff is still my favorite, but man the Reading Room looked tempting. I'll need to find an excuse to do work there.

-Tim

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?