Wednesday, December 13, 2006

 

The Last Supper

Wow. My last night in Barcelona. It just sort of hits you all of a sudden that, yeah, tomorrow I leave never to return. I mean I might visit Barcelona in the future, but I lived here man. It will just never be the same. I mean, I've never had to move away from somewhere before. Even with home and school I know that when I leave, I will eventually return. But not here, this chapter of my life (unoriginally titled 'Barcelona') is actually ending. The closest thing I can compare it to is finishing a long but really good novel. While you were reading you were racing to the conclusion, you couldn't help but want to know what would happen next, and finishing the book carries with it a sense of accomplishment. But it is bitter sweet because you know that this thing that was so much fun to experiance, or read if I am to stick with the metaphor, is actually over. You can never reread a book for the first time, its still fun to go through the motions, but you always know what's coming next. Such will be my memories of this place. If what I am describing does not ring true with you, dear reader, because you've never seen yourself hurtling unstoppably towards a point of no return, then let me offer some advice. Next summer (I think) when you are reading the new and final Harry Potter book, pause before you start the final chapter. What you'll find is that you don't want the book to end because you know that there is no more; but, like an addict in need of a fix, you will keep reading until the end. It will be the end of Harry no matter if he lives or dies. I suppose that with enough will power you could freeze Hogwarts in an instant, decide not to read the last chapter or the last page so that Harry's story is forever unfinished. But no matter how much I screw up my face and act like a Hiro, tomorrow will come.

And at the risk of sounding mushy and emo and putting all of you off because youre used to my churlish or sarcastic or whatever nature... I don't think I could have asked for a better group of people to spend four months trapped in a dorm with. I know they will probibly never read those words, but is the truth. And I think I'll miss them, all of them.

-Tim M Lunardoni

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?