Wednesday, November 08, 2006

 

Today I Want to Use the Word "Pimp" in my Title

So the big news today is obviously the election results. I wish I could claim to be part of the civic movement that has put the once near vanquished Democratic Party back at the grown-ups table. But to be honest, I didn't vote. Never got my abcentee ballot. So even our so called "great American Democracy" has flaws. But seeing as how one liberals vote Massachusetts would have been lost in the din anyway, and seeing as how things seem to have turned out ok, I guess I don't mind. News is coming over the wire that there's a woman Speaker of the House for the first time in US history. I'm glad we're finally joining the progressive age. My advice to Ms Nancy Pelosi: don't let on that you're stressed around President "Grabby Hands" Bush, he might just try and give you a Merkel Massage too. If I might ask you readers the favor of sending me the results as the favor of sending me the results as they come in from the first colony. I'm really interested in the Virginia vote.

Other than that, there hasn't been much news around here. Not for me anyway. I've been shut up in my room trying to kick whatever it is I picked up in the Alhambra. I think I've finally done it. So that's good. But it really took me away from the pulse of the real world. Mostly I just read. Finished Moby Dick, re-read some comic books, started reading Watchmen. I picked up Blind Watchmaker again, which I highly recomend to anyone that likes science nonfiction. I think Richard Dawkins is one of the best non-fiction writers out there. And Science isn't even my genre.

I listened to Kevin's advice for once and downloaded the pilot episode of the new series "Heroes". He said he's been getting really into it. Now this is a kid who likes the "24", "OC", and "Lost", two shows I've never gotten into. But I did my research and found some obvious and not obvious things that drew me to the show. I finally gave in and watched it. You'll excuse my slang, but, "Heroes" is off the heezy! Honestly, I don't know if an hour of television has ever kept me quite as entertained or captivated. I was LITERALLY on the edge of my seat for every one of the 52 minutes of the episode (It's coming! 52! 52!). Every time the show went to an act break I found myself internally pleading that this not be the end of the episode. And, now I've watched a lot of TV in my day, a LOT, and I've gotten to understand how things work. I can usually see plot twists coming a mile away, even if I dont know what theyre going to be, I have developed a sense for when something important is going to happen simply through over exposure to the medium. But "Heroes" didn't do that to me. One of the twists at the end of the episode had me yelling at my screen like a lune who doesn't know it's all fake. Not that the show is not in need of some improvement. They're dialogue is a bit forced. But writing believable AND interesting dialogue is hard. I advise any of you who has the time and the desire to give "Heroes" at least a first try.

Manbearpig is coming you guys. I'm super cereal.

You know what grinds my gears (other than not being able to find the droids I'm looking for)? Dan. Many of you may remember Dan from one of my earliest posts. If you haven't read it yet, I recommend it (I haven't read it but I hear it's not bad). Well, Dan is in my Art History class. He is perpetually late, but I wounldn't be surprised if he can't read analogue clocks. He hasn't taken the midterm yet, even though it was three weeks ago. And we can't get our grades back until he takes it. But this isn't what grinds my gears about Dan. I'll tell you what does. Our prof, who really is such a sweet woman, and I'm not just saying that for dramatic affect, passed out a sign up sheet for a trip to the Dali museum later this month. We were either supposed to write that we could go, or why we couldn't. Not hard instructions really. And I suppose Dan did follow them. What he wrote was that he couldn't go because his family was going to be in town (valid excuse) celebrating Thanksgiving (TMI, but ok) and how awesome America is. This is the part that grinds my perverbial gears, meaning it upsets me or makes me angry (nearly to the point of dressing up like a giant bat and beating up stupid people). I hate that "frigging" American hubris and sense of entitlment. It is unwarrented, or hasn't Dan seen a non fair and balanced news cast in the past 5 years? And it's not just his unwarrented pride in his home country that bothers me, it's the fact that he wrote it there to be given to a Spaniard. Dan was saying there on that piece of paper "I'm better than you", and that's just rude. So Dan, I hope you get kidnapped by space pirates and sold into slavery on Hoth.

Joe is in Paris for the weekend. But I still have a roommate. Joe left his stink to keep me company.

-Timmy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?